All Aboard! Your Guide to the Best Dog-Friendly Vacation Ever
Summer is here, and for many of us this means it’s vacation time! If you’re like most pet owners, you don’t relish the thought of leaving your dog behind while you travel. Besides worrying about how well your pet is being cared for, or if he or she is lonely, it can be hard knowing how much fun your pet would be having with you on vacation.
The folks at Schertz Animal Hospital understand your desire to bring your best pal with you everywhere you go, which is why we’ve come up with some dog-friendly vacation ideas that are sure to please even the most discerning pooch. Enjoy!
The Planning Stage
It goes without saying that aggressive, fearful, or untrained dogs are not good candidates for a vacation. If you are confident that your pooch will do well on a trip, we recommend packing the following items to ensure his or her safety and comfort:
- Extra food/water
- Any medications or supplements your pet is on
- Medical records
If you haven’t had your pet microchipped yet, be sure to do so prior to your trip. Make sure that your pet’s microchip information and the information on his or her ID tags are current.
Our Top 5 Dog-Friendly Vacation Destinations
- Blisswood Bed And Breakfast – Enjoy a true Texas experience at this pet-friendly ranch. Your leashed dog can join you as you hike, ride horses, and enjoy the beautiful surroundings. You may even find a new four-legged family member through Blisswood’s foster dog program!
- South Padre – Did you know you could bring your dog for some Gulf Coast fun in the sun? Not only is South Padre National Seashore dog-friendly, there are also a variety of pet-friendly hotels and restaurants in and around the Corpus Christi area.
- San Antonio – With 174 pet-friendly hotels and 82 pet-friendly restaurants, it’s easier to explore San Antonio on four legs than you probably realized. Check out one of the many dog-friendly activities while you’re in town, including the Phil Hardberger Dog Park and the Sisters Grimm Ghost Tours.
- Texas Hill Country – This gorgeous region offers something for everyone. Enchanted Rock, Walnut Creek Park, and the Hill Country State Natural Area are perfect for outdoorsy canines and their owners. Wine enthusiasts can enjoy a sip or two at Flat Creek Estate Winery or Bent Oak Winery, and then there’s Austin, with its wide variety of dog-friendly restaurants, hotels, and destinations.
- Canine Camp Getaway – If a trip to the stunning Adirondack Mountains of New York sounds like your idea of the perfect vacation, look no further. Canine Camp Getaway is the ultimate dog-friendly destination. You and your pooch can enjoy tons of fun activities, including swimming, hiking, training, agility, and just lounging by the pool. Thanks to luxury accommodations and lots to do in the nearby towns, humans will still feel like they’re on vacation too. It’s a win-win!
Before You Go
Bring your pet in to see us before your trip so we can make sure he or she is healthy enough for travel and that all vaccinations and parasite preventives are up-to-date. Happy Tails!
Share This Article
Schertz Animal Hospital
Since 1976, Schertz Animal Hospital has offered the greater San Antonio area outstanding pet care. Our state-of-the-art animal hospital in Schertz, TX compliments our stress-free handling and experienced veterinary staff. Make an appointment online or give us a call at (210) 659-0345 today!