Our Favorite Fall Activities for Pets
Although temps are still warm, autumn is an amazing time here in Texas Hill Country. The spirit of fall is in the air, and it seems as though just about everyone is out and about (and holding a pumpkin spiced latte!). If you’re looking for ways to take advantage of the season with your pet, you’ve come to the right place.
10 Fun Fall Activities for Pets
- Camping – Whether you’re a dyed-in-the-wool tent camper or “glamping” is more your style, take a break from the hustle and bustle of daily life at one of San Antonio’s many pet-friendly campgrounds.
- Farmers market – Going to a local farmers market is a wonderful way to appreciate the season’s bounty. Many markets welcome leashed, well-behaved pups.
- Agility training – Indoor agility training is something you and your dog can do all year long. A great source of exercise and enrichment, there are several facilities to choose from right here in Schertz.
- Dog parks – The (slightly) cooler temps make this a good time of year to visit one of the many Schertz area dog parks. Don’t forget to clean up after your pet!
- Leaf pile – After an afternoon of raking, reward yourself and your pet with a good ol’ fashioned romp in the leaf piles! Afterward, make sure to check your pet for ticks, and remove any debris from the fur or paws.
- Pet Halloween party – If you missed the 4th annual Bark-in-the-Park pet costume contest in San Antonio, you can still celebrate the holiday in style by hosting your own pet costume party. Serve treats and bowls of water (be sure to keep people food and drinks away from pets), and hand out pet-friendly prizes for the top contenders.
- Pumpkin picking – Nothing says fall like a trip to the pumpkin patch! Your dog will have a blast as you take in the fresh air and grab a pumpkin or three (call first before bringing your dog, as not all pumpkin patches allow pets).
- Treat time – Halloween candy is bad for pets, but that doesn’t mean your furry family member shouldn’t be allowed to indulge a little. Whipping up a batch of healthy treats for your pet is the purrrfect way to spend a crisp fall evening. Pumpkin is a tasty, nutritious food that can be added to both dog and cat treats!
- Fall foliage – Texas may not be well-known for its fall foliage, but if you’re up for a day trip, you can take in some breathtaking autumnal colors at Lost Maples State Natural Area. Leashed pets are allowed on the trails (just be sure to keep your pet close and watch out for rattlesnakes).
- Movie marathon – Cuddling up by the fire with your pet, a mug of apple cider, and a few Halloween movies sounds great to us, and we’re pretty sure your pet would agree!
Share This Article
Schertz Animal Hospital
Since 1976, Schertz Animal Hospital has offered the greater San Antonio area outstanding pet care. Our state-of-the-art animal hospital in Schertz, TX compliments our stress-free handling and experienced veterinary staff. Make an appointment online or give us a call at (210) 659-0345 today!