In Your Own Backyard: Outdoor Pet Toxins

In Your Own Backyard: Outdoor Pet Toxins

iStock_000013339738_MediumSummer is almost at an end, and you want to spend as much time outdoors with your pet as possible before the cooler weather sets in. Your pet will love the extra playtime outdoors, but he or she is also at risk of becoming sick if you don’t protect your pet from a number of outdoor pet  toxins that exist in the backyard, along the hiking trail, at the lake, or on the shore.

Outdoor pet toxins come in all different forms, which can make keeping your pet safe a bit tricky. Keeping your pet confined to a fenced-in area will help them stay safe, but there is more to it than that. If containers are present in the yard, make sure the lids are tightly sealed and stored out of your pet’s reach. Additionally, do your best to keep your pet away from that outside garden where all sorts of potential hazards like vegetables and compost can cause serious damage to your pet. Likewise, you’ll want to be sure that your yard is secured against escape-artist pets, so that your four-legged friend doesn’t stray.

Common outdoor pet toxins include:

  • Compost piles, which can contain raw materials that are very harmful to pets, such as raw egg, moldy foods, and other decaying organic matter
  • Antifreeze and other vehicle-related fluids
  • Saltwater
  • Slug and snail baits
  • Mole and gopher bait
  • Outdoor flea and tick abatement products
  • Pesticides and herbicides
  • Fertilizers
  • Mushrooms
  • Rhubarb
  • Onions and garlic
  • Certain bulbs and plants such as lilies, tulips and azaleas
  • Sago palms
  • Cocoa mulch
  • Blue-green algae
  • Toads
  • Do a random check of your yard every few days to ensure that your pet’s play area is free of potential dangers and toxins. If you are suspicious of something you see in your yard, it’s better to play it safe than sorry – clean it up on your pet’s behalf

    It’s also a good idea to have clean, bottled water with you at all times when you and your pet travel away from home. If you venture to the lake or beach, don’t let your pet drink salt water, eat the algae, or chase toads, since all of these items contain toxins that will make your pet incredibly sick.

    If you believe that your pet has ingested a toxic substance while at the beach or in the yard, look for these symptoms of poisoning:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Agitation
  • Excessive panting and drooling
  • Tremors or seizures
  • Bloating
  • Labored breathing
  • Early recognition and treatment are key in successfully treating poisoning. Always have fresh, clean water nearby and keep your pet well supervised.

    If your pet requires immediate attention due to the ingestion of an outdoor toxin, contact us immediately at (210) 659-3938 for treatment options and the chance to speak with our on-call staff regarding your pet’s condition. We want to help your pet stay happy and healthy and ready to enjoy summer when it returns again.




    Posted in

    Share This Article

    Schertz Animal Hospital

    Since 1976, Schertz Animal Hospital has offered the greater San Antonio area outstanding pet care. Our state-of-the-art animal hospital in Schertz, TX compliments our stress-free handling and experienced veterinary staff. Make an appointment online or give us a call at (210) 659-0345 today!