Fall Allergies & Toxic Plants: Keeping Pets Healthy And Safe This Fall

Fall Allergies & Toxic Plants: Keeping Pets Healthy And Safe This Fall

Schertz_iStock_000049673482_LargeEverybody loves fall, right? Crisp air, changing leaves, bonfires, and the Cowboys game on TV are just a few of the delights that autumn has to offer. But your pet may feel differently about the change of season. Fall Allergies & Toxic Plants or foliage are two of the biggest challenges your pet may face now that summer is over.

Your team at Schertz Animal Hospital is committed to helping your pet navigate this beautiful, and potentially hazardous, season.

Fall Allergies

Shorter days and cooling temperatures bring with them a cornucopia of potential allergens in the form of falling leaves, dried out plant matter, fall flower pollen, and mold. While our bodies’ allergic responses to seasonal and environmental allergens will generally manifest in the form of sinus or lung irritation, our pets often suffer from irritation of the skin. Be on the lookout for the following symptoms of seasonal allergies in your pet:

  • Extreme itchiness, excessive scratching or rubbing against upholstery or other vertical surfaces
  • Obsessive licking of the paws, flank, belly or other body part
  • “Hot Spots” or open sores
  • Red, inflamed ears
  • Head shaking or ear scratching
  • Red, watery eyes, or pawing at/rubbing the eyes
  • Some pets may exhibit sneezing, loud snorting or snoring, or have a runny nose

Schedule an appointment for your pet if you suspect he or she has fall allergies. We offer allergy testing services and can help you come up with a treatment plan that works for your pet.

Toxic Plants

Every gardener knows that beautiful fall foliage is an essential part of a well-manicured yard, but not all know that many common plants found in and around our homes are toxic to pets if ingested. In fact over 700 species of plants have been identified as potentially poisonous. Some of these include:

Tulip and daffodil – Ingestion of the bulbs can result in severe intestinal distress, drooling, loss of appetites, convulsions, and heart palpitations or irregularities.

Chrysanthemum – If consumed, can cause drooling, vomiting, and diarrhea.

Azaleas/Rhododendron – Can cause vomiting, diarrhea, and weakness if eaten. If poisoning is severe coma or death can result.

Lilies – Lilies are highly toxic to cats. Severe kidney damage could result if even small amounts of the plant are eaten or chewed.

If you have reason to believe your pet has chewed on or ingested a poisonous plant, give us a call right away.

Share This Article

Schertz Animal Hospital

Since 1976, Schertz Animal Hospital has offered the greater San Antonio area outstanding pet care. Our state-of-the-art animal hospital in Schertz, TX compliments our stress-free handling and experienced veterinary staff. Make an appointment online or give us a call at (210) 659-0345 today!