To Give or Not to Give: Animal Charities That Truly Make a Difference
Charitable giving is at it’s highest – and most generous – in the last few weeks of the year. Sure, the implicit tax benefits are running out for the calendar year, but that’s not the entire story. Most people feel compelled to make a difference with their dollars during the holidays – a time when charities need donations the most. For supporters of animal health and wellbeing, we offer the following suggestions for animal charities that benefit both local and national causes.
Helping Your Community
To be sure, helping out animals locally is one way to improve and support your community. The San Antonio area is second to none when it comes to organizations that directly benefit Texan animals, and your Schertz Animal Hospital Team suggest checking out the following:
- Homes for Pets – This non-profit rescues and improves the lives of companion animals via foster care, adoption, training, and community education. Animals are tested, treated, vaccinated, spayed or neutered, evaluated, and prepared for prospective adoption.
- Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation – This local organization helps over 100 different species of birds and reptiles, including raccoons, deer, opossums, bobcats, coyotes, skunks, squirrels, and other mammals. Mostly orphaned, these animals must be rehabilitated before surviving alone in the wild.
- Animal Defense League of Texas – This no-kill shelter saved over 5,000 homeless San Antonio pets last year alone and provided more than 6,500 spay/neuter procedures. Donations are critical to this organization and help to reduce the number of stray pets in our community.
- San Antonio Pets Alive! – Animal charities like this one devote veterinary care, obedience training, food, shelter, and other supplies to help make adoption a real possibility.
- Paws Ranch Rescue and Animal Sanctuary – Hundreds of pets have been rescued, rehabilitated, and adopted through this non-profit, where volunteers work tirelessly to make San Antonio a no-kill city.
- SNIP San Antonio – Through rescue, adoption, and low-cost spay/neuter procedures, SNIP helps our pet community and promotes a higher sense of responsibility among pet owners.
Larger Animal Charities
Some of the obvious choices for national charitable giving include:
- The Humane Society – More than a 100,000 animals are protected each year through this national organization that seeks to support a humane world for both people and animals. Combating animal cruelty and educating volunteers drives the change they wish to see.
- ASPCA – A national leader to ending abuse and neglect, the ASPCA has 150 years of experience tending to animal welfare around the country.
- Animal Welfare Institute – This compassionate organization strives to reduce cruelty and violence in the process of farming and slaughtering animals raised for food. They also protect wildlife impacted by exploitation and habitat loss.
- Wildlife Conservation Society – Wildlife and wild places in Africa, Asia, Oceania, and the Americas benefit from donations made to this organization. They also run numerous educational facilities, such as the Bronx Zoo, Central Park Zoo, and the New York Aquarium, where they impact millions of visitors each year.
- Pet Smart Charities – Help end pet homelessness with any donation to one of the largest animal charities in America.
- Marine Mammal Center – Learning about what affects our planet’s marine life provides insight into certain conditions humans suffer from as well. Fostering environmental stewardship inspires lifelong ocean conservation and respect for all life.
- American Humane – Through rapid response rescue and care around the U.S. to certifying “no animals were harmed” in film and television programs, this unique organization increases animal welfare and education.
- Best Friends Animal Society – By operating no-kill adoption centers in Salt Lake City, L.A., and New York City, this group shares the message that we can and should “save them all.”
The world needs more animal champions, and we hope our list helps you choose the right organization for you – this holiday season and throughout the whole year.
Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions!
Share This Article
Schertz Animal Hospital
Since 1976, Schertz Animal Hospital has offered the greater San Antonio area outstanding pet care. Our state-of-the-art animal hospital in Schertz, TX compliments our stress-free handling and experienced veterinary staff. Make an appointment online or give us a call at (210) 659-0345 today!